Seven people taken to local hospital due to carbon monoxide exposure in Green Bay, WI

October 25th, 2010 | Filed under: Carbon Monoxide, Family Safety, Poisoning | 1 Comment »

Source: WFRV News

GREEN BAY, Wi–(WFRV) The Green Bay Fire Department responded to a carbon monoxide call on Saturday evening at 10:42 pm. The home residence, 1600 Farlin Avenue, recorded very high levels of CO.

Five children and two adults were transported to the hospital for CO exposure.

The Green Bay Fire Department says the CO was ventilated from the home.

The fire department says the source of the CO was produced from a generator running in the garage used to supply power for lights and heat.


Carbon Monoxide Detector Saves Seven Lives in Howard County, MD

October 25th, 2010 | Filed under: Carbon Monoxide, Family Safety, Furnaces | No Comments »

Source: Oct 25, 2010 - Washington Examiner

Howard County fire officials say a home where seven Elkridge residents suffered carbon monoxide poisoning had a working carbon monoxide detector. Fire officials say several residents had made their way out of the home by the time Howard County and Baltimore County rescue units arrived just before midnight Saturday. The seven were reported in stable condition Sunday after being taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center. - AP

Baltimore Sun:

Officials praised the fact that the home had a working carbon monoxide detector.

“As in this case, a working carbon monoxide detector can mean the difference between life and death,” Howard County Fire Chief William F. Goddard III said.

Heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.


Home Invasion and Burglary is on the Rise in Fairfax, VA

October 5th, 2010 | Filed under: Family Safety, Home Safes, Safes and Lockboxes, Security | 1 Comment »

Home invasion and burglary is on the rise. With unemployment still hovering around 10% and an economy struggling to rebound, some are turning to drastic measures. One community in Fairfax, VA has been hit over 90 times in only a couple of months.

Citizens must remain viligent and aware. The police and home owner associations will remind you to lock your doors and report and “suspicious” activity. However, there is more that you can do to protect your home and family.

At Homesafe.com you can find many articles on how to protect your valuables as well as find top-rated products for securing your home and protecting your most valuable belongings. Burglars “think like the common homeowner.” The first place they will look for money and valuables is your sock drawer. If you are serious about keeping important documents and heirlooms safe…is a safe. Home safes come in many different shapes, sizes and price ranges.

Click here for more.


Carbon Monoxide - A Clear, Odorless Gas That Goes Virtually Undetected

October 5th, 2010 | Filed under: Carbon Monoxide, Chimneys, Consumer Protection, Family Safety, Fireplaces & Woodstoves, Furnaces, Installed Systems, Water Heaters | No Comments »

Author: Maria Richmond for HomeSafe.com

It has no smell, nor can you see carbon monoxide, yet it is very dangerous and kills several hundred people each year.

Carbon monoxide is produced by fuel burning appliances such as, gas space heaters, gas furnaces, wood burning stoves, fireplaces, gas dryers, gas ranges, ovens, even your car. If your appliance is working properly, it will not produce enough carbon monoxide to be harmful. If it is not functioning properly, carbon monoxide can leak from the appliance in amounts that can be harmful, even fatal if enough is inhaled.

Carbon monoxide is absorbed through the bloodstream. Carbon monoxide in the bloodstream makes it impossible for oxygen to be absorbed by your vital organs. When your organs are unable to have access to, nor able to utilize oxygen, they starve and become unable to function.

Children and pregnant women (the fetus) are at even greater risks of CO poisoning. Children naturally have a higher metabolic rate. This means that they require higher amounts of oxygen for their vital organs, like their hearts and brain. When CO interferes with the delivery of oxygen to these vital organs, children can suffer severe complications from CO poisoning, such as brain damage and death.

Read the rest of the article…