Free “Mr. Yuk” Stickers

April 20th, 2009 | Filed under: Child Proofing, Family Safety, Free Stuff, Poisoning |

“Mr. Yuk” was conceived in 1971 as the mascot for the poison control center at the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. The original design was created by Wendy (Courtney) Brown, a grade-school student at a school near Pittsburgh Children’s Hospital.

As part of a contest held by the poison center, Wendy drew the now-familiar face, along with a stick-figure body that was not included in the finished sticker design. Her design won, and Wendy was compensated for her time and talent with a prize: a tape recorder. Pittsburgh Children’s Hospital now owns all exclusive rights to the Mr. Yuk design. It appears on small green stickers that can be affixed to any container of poisonous substance.

The Mr. Yuk stickers are bold and obvious. Mr. Yuk does not include details of the poisonous attributes of the contents. The logo itself is intended to be enough to dissuade children from ingesting the poisons.

You can request a free sheet of Mr. Yuk stickers by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to this address:

Mr. Yuk
Pittsburgh Poison Center
UPMC
200 Lothrop Street
BIR 010701
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

There are additional poison-prevention-education materials available at the Mr. Yuk web-store.

6 Comments on “Free “Mr. Yuk” Stickers”

1. 1 Robin said at 6:44 PM on August 18th, 2009:

Thank you very much for the information. In January i delivered my first child. now that shes getting ready to start walking and wreaking havoc on the house, i was worried about her getting into things that she shouldn’t. I remember growing up and going to pre-school and they gave out Mr. Yuk stickers. i stuck them everywhere. my mother still brings it up. lol

2. 2 Kevin's mom said at 12:42 PM on July 24th, 2010:

These stickers are a necessity in my home. I remembered them from when I was young. Kid’s learn fast, and as long as you put these on everything that is poisonous to the child, he will learn not to touch anything displaying the sticker. Thank you for bringing them to us for free.

3. 3 Cecelia said at 10:01 PM on August 4th, 2010:

Thanks for spreading the word about this. I remember the Mr. Yuk theme song from my own childhood. I was delighted to see that familiar green face! I have a young daughter–just beginning to walk. Mr. Yuk will be a welcome addition in our household! THANKS!

4. 4 destina brown said at 6:14 AM on November 4th, 2010:

I think giving out my. yuk stickers is a great thing, but I sent in for some over 2 months ago and still have not gotten any.

5. 5 Steve said at 1:20 PM on December 28th, 2010:

I just called the Poison Control Center hotline and the representative stated that they no longer make, use or recommend using the Mr. Yuk stickers because current research showed that children are actually drawn to the stickers simply because they are “stickers.” I still want to obtain some, though, even if just for nostalgia’s sake. :)

6. 6 MeekahDawn said at 9:56 AM on August 5th, 2011:

I found some at a small town hospital driving through Pa.