HomeSafe's Article Library » Home Safety Appliances: Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Home Safety Appliances: Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Author: Kyle Issac
If your home is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, you need to read this article.
Inside this article, you will learn how serious that danger of Carbon Monoxide can be at home and at work. It is recognized as a serious health hazard, responsible for more deaths than any other form of poisoning around the world Carbon Monoxide (CO) especially dangerous because it is a combination of Carbon and Oxygen that cannot be seen, smelled, or tasted. On average, in the United States death from CO poisoning averages nearly 170 annually.
The final outcome of inhaling CO is oxygen-starvation of the body's internal organs. As CO is taken into the lungs, it unites to the hemoglobin far more rapidly than oxygen can. This results in the failure of internal organs, as they become starved for enough oxygen to work properly. Early warning signs of poisoning include headaches, fatigue and nausea, all of which can easily be mistaken for influenza.
Among the other symptoms are chest pain, weakness, dizziness, vomiting and shortness of breath. Infants may be irritable and appear ill. Death is preceded by convulsion and respiratory failure in someone is subjected to prolonged exposure.
Having a detailed family emergency plan is an important safeguard in family safety. For CO poisoning prevention, the plan should state who is responsible for assisting children and any frail and elderly family members from the home in an alarm goes off. Make sure all fuel-burning devices such as space heaters and furnaces, are properly serviced and cleaned before home heating season arrives. If you are experiencing an electrical power failure, you should never use a generator or a charcoal type grill inside the home for cooking or heating.
Make sure that your Carbon Monoxide Detector has a backup power supply in case of a domestic power failure. CO Detectors work is a manner similar to smoke detectors, making a warning sound when the level of CO becomes dangerous. When the warning sound is heard, you have time to open windows in order to increase the air circulation, leave the house, or both. Like other safety devices, CO Alarms require an electrical supply, either from the wall or a battery. In the event that the CO in the surrounding area becomes dangerous, the detector will begin to make a warning sound. Not all detectors are the same, as they will very in cost, detection ability, and response time. Be certain to check that any Carbon Monoxide Monitors you are contemplating purchasing have been UL tested and approved.
The grand-slam in home protection comprises three devices: a smoke alarm, a fire alarm, and a CO Monitor. With three different types of alarms installed, you have the best chance of discovering toxic smoke from a smoldering fire as well as smoke and flame from a blaze. If you don't mind spending a little extra for additional features, consider buying a detector that features a memory. After installing the detector, always follow the manufacturer's instructions for testing and replacing batteries. CO Alarms should be tested for proper performance about every six months after installation. Some modern detectors can be linked to a vibrating pillow pad and feature a flashing strobe light.
If your home uses one or more fuel-burning appliances, it makes good safety sense to have a Carbon Monoxide monitor installed as directed by the manufacturer in your home. If you enjoyed reading this article, you can see more great Practical Home Repair articles at PracticalRepairs.com
About the Author:
Other HomeSafe.com Articles You Might Like: